Saturday, February 8, 2014

A Complete Transformation: Old fashions with a Twist

Do you have old fashion items from family members that you don't want to throw out? The items are most likely in good or wearable condition, but aren't exactly from this time period? Well I have good news for you, transform these fashions to not only meet your personal style, but receive compliments, such as "Wow I can't believe you made that!" I am going to share two of my recent experiences with upcycling and my goal is to inspire you to start your transformation. The first is my grandmother's coat and the second is a petal dress.

For my Costume History course, I had to conduct a clothing artifact study, in which I had to search through magazines, books, newspapers, and advertisements from the past to try and identify the time period my garment would have been worn. My grandma, whom has taught me everything I know about sewing, offered her old single breasted wool dress coat with a mink collar. The coat had a princess silhouette and was similar to the style worn by Jacqueline Kennedy in 1961. During the course, we studied the designer, Vivienne Westwood and had to use inspiration from her designs to remake the garment. I used inspiration from a bustle and the tailored fit and added tiered ruffles. 

               Before:                                                                           After:                          




                                                                                                         Photography by Mitchell D. Strauss

For my second project, I have upcycled to create this petal dress from... Any guesses? I will give you a hint, it is something typically associated with home decorating and keeps the room from being too bright. Curtain drapes that my cousin gave me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment